February 17, 2017
West Contra Costa Unified Families,
Thank you so much for your interest in applying to the West County Mandarin School. We are excited about your potential enrollment in our new school. Our West County Mandarin School is open to Kindergartners for the 2017-2018 school year. We plan to open three classes of Kindergarten next year. The location of the school will be at the Serra Campus. Serra is located at 6028 Ralston Avenue, Richmond, CA 95805. Currently, we are planning for a school day that runs from 8:30 a.m. - 2:20 p.m. with an afterschool program open to all until 6 p.m. and based on a sliding scale fee.
Please note the following important items that pertain to the school:
- First, the West County Mandarin School is a school in the West Contra Costa Unified School District. This means that all seats are meant for students who reside in our district. In the event that seats are available at the end of the enrollment period, we will consider making those seats available to students who reside in other districts.
- Second, as part of our commitment to ensure equitable access to this school, 50% of the seats in the Mandarin school are reserved for students who are either Low Income, English Learners, or Foster Youth.
- Third, there are no guaranteed spots, so it is critical that parents officially register at their HOME SCHOOL. During the registration process at the home school, parents will be asked (as they are in all schools) to provide information about home language, foster youth status, and family income information. We will use that information to help determine eligibility for the Mandarin school. Please note that a number of our schools qualify as a whole school for Free and Reduced Lunch, so we will work with parents at those schools to determine income eligibility.
- Fourth, if you are interested in attending our West County Mandarin school, you must also visit our Transfer Office, located at 1108 Bissell Ave., Richmond, CA 94801, to request an official transfer to the new school.
- Finally, registration will remain open indefinitely until we fill the seats allocated for our students.
Again, we are excited about your interest in the program and look forward to working with you in the future. If you have any questions, please contact Director Eric Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org (510-307-4641)
Matthew Duffy, Superintendent